Filled with goat’s cheese, walnuts, mozzarella and basil, these are great served on top of toasted thick white bread.
Prep time: 15 mins
Cooking time: 15-20 mins
- 6 beef tomatoes
- 2tbsp crushed walnuts
- 180g goat’s cheese, without the rind and crumbled
- 150g mini mozzarella balls
- 6 thick slices of white bread
- 2tbsp freshly chopped basil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Using a sharp knife, cut a thin slice from the bottom of each tomato and discard then cut the top of each tomato and reserve. Using a teaspoon, carefully scoop out the seeds and most of the pulp and discard, keeping the tomato shells whole.
- In a bowl, mix together the mozzarella, walnuts, goat’s cheese and basil. Season with salt and pepper and spoon into the tomato shells. (3 mini mozzarella balls per tomato).
- With the help of an 8cm round pastry cutter, stamp out 6 rounds from the bread slices and toast on both sides.
- When ready, place the bread in a single layer in a lightly oiled ovenproof dish. Place the tomatoes on top of each toasted piece of bread and cook in the middle of a preheated oven at 190º (375F / gas mark 5) for approx 15-20 mins until the cheese mixture looks melted and golden. (Make sure that the tomatoes are not too soft).
- Serve immediately and drizzle a little extra virgin olive oil on top.