Jamie Oliver’s parents, Sally and Trevor, cook a country cottage pie.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cook time: 45 minutes
- 1 Kallo organic beef stock cube
- 50g butter
- 2 medium onions, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 celery sticks, trimmed and finely diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme, leaves picked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1kg good-quality British beef mince
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 drops Tabasco
- 175ml red wine
- a pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- for the mash topping
- 1kg white potatoes, peeled
- 75g butter
- a splash of milk
- Parmesan cheese, for grating
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC/375ºF/gas 5. Dissolve the Kallo organic beef stock cube in 400ml of boiling water.
- Melt the butter in a pan on a medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic, thyme and bay leaf and sweat for 10 minutes, or until softened but not coloured. Add the beef mince and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until brown. Add the tomato purée, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco then stir and cook for 2 minutes. Turn the heat up to high and add the red wine. Let it bubble away and reduce for 5 minutes then add the stock and reduce to a medium heat. Simmer for a further 20 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cut the potatoes into halves and quarters so they’re all a fairly even size. Cook in a pan of boiling, salted water for 15 to 20 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain in a colander and leave to steam dry.
- Taste the mince and season accordingly with salt and pepper. Transfer it to an ovenproof dish (approximately 20cm by 30cm). Mash the potatoes with the butter, milk and a pinch of salt and pepper then spread over the top of the mince. Finely grate over a little Parmesan cheese then cook for 45 minutes, or until golden and bubbling.
- Serve with buttered peas or a simple side salad.