“This is a real no-fuss dinner party centre piece that you can make a day or two ahead. You won’t believe how easy it is to make – the perfect way to celebrate the fruit of the season,” says Phil Vickery.
Preparation time 20 minutes, Freezing time 4 hours or overnight. Serves 8
- 55g (2oz) meringues
- 150ml (¼pt) double cream
- 405g can Carnation Condensed Milk Light
- Zest and juice 3 lemons
- 150g (5½oz) raspberries
- 150g (5½oz) strawberries, topped and finely chopped
- 2tbsp strawberry or raspberry jam
- Double line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with cling film, allowing plenty of excess film to overlap the edges of the tin.
- Break the meringues into small pieces – but not too small.
- Whip the cream to soft peaks and then stir in the condensed milk.
- Add the lemon zest and juice – the mixture should thicken.
- Mix the berries with the jam.
- Pour a few spoonfuls of the cream mixture to just coat the base of the tin. Sprinkle over half the meringues and then scatter over half the jammy berries.
- Repeat the layers finishing with the cream mixture.
- Wrap the cling film over the top of the tin and freeze for 4 hours or overnight.